CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

market day




tuesday is market day.

and market day means cilantro.

and cilantro means peruvian food tonight!

my tuesday market is one of the only places i've found in the huge city of buenos aires that carries this illusive herb, so central to peruvian cuisine. sometimes seven days of anticipation is too much to bare. but once a week, when our neighborhood park comes alive with vendors and music, i make my way to the far end of the plaza and find the sweet little lady that hooks me up.

it's curious how taste is associated to memory. nothing brings back the warmth,comfort and happiness of the six years i spent living in peru like a deliciously prepared plate of seco de res.

so tonight, as i savor my comfort food, i'll think of sweet sarah and rae.
of little isa and B.
of techi (whose recipes i follow)
and soy
and mia
and craig.

i'll remember jesus maria and grau.
lurigancho and paraiso.

i'll smile at the thought of stella marris and my very own peruanita.

and my heart will ache at the distance between me and patty, vero, edith, luis...

maybe that's why tears are salty-
they go good with food.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

I think this meal is going to have a lot of salt in it, because my tears are joining with yours. I, too, long for Peru and ache at the distance. I love you, Mujer.

Adriana Dakimowicz-Forcatto said...

good thing we both love salt...

Jennifer said...

Hey Lady!! Remember me? :-) I buy cilantro whenever I can! I made guacamole with it the other night and I thought the gang was going to eat the dip and the bowl and everything! So funny... We love you guys and miss you and can't believe we haven't talked to you in FOREVER!! we talk about you all the time but it's not the same! SO glad I randomly came across your site! Have a wonderful wonderful day. You guys are missed! Lots and lots of love your way for you and yours.
-Jennifer Curell (thought you'd like the last name thrown in there...I do!)